Wednesday 13 February 2013

Getting the Basics Sorted Out

This is not our flat

Things in India are pretty much two steps forward and one step back, but I guess that’s India. It is an amazing place and when it’s good, it’s really good.  When it’s bad it’s horrid.  Yesterday I watched an elephant taking people for rides in my neighbourhood; that was fun.  I have had a cold ever since I arrived and the weather has been quite chilly, but getting warmer now.

We are in short term accommodation (old flat in lovely location) and looking for something more modern.  We’ve seen some lovely places and made some offers but not getting anywhere.  The latest setback is that the flat we have chosen is new and the owner will not sign the lease until it the electricity meter is officially connected.  When will this happen?  Who knows?  Meanwhile we don’t want to wait around and risk him getting a higher offer.  Our furniture arrives next week and we have given notice to leave our current flat so we have to continue looking just in case.  When we finally move I will begin to feel more settled. 

We have a part time cook/cleaner and she has stocked the cupboards with all manner of strange spices.  The food is exciting and we are enjoying it.  We have been exploring the local markets and our new fridge is gradually filling up though I tend to stick to the supermarkets that stock European foods (and Tim tams ;)

Street Vendor (courtesy Josh)
We have seen some wonderful sights, lots of temples, parks, markets, animals and multitudes of all kinds of people.  I am learning to cope with the beggars and the disabled, the chaos on the roads but still struggling with the Bentleys and Jaguars parked next to piles of rotting rubbish.  There are lots of green spaces in Delhi, most with ancient tombs and some with lakes.  We are hoping to live near ‘Deer Park’ which actually has roaming deer along with the more usual roaming dogs, cows, squirrels and monkeys.

Jeff is really enjoying work and life and I’m getting there even it if my pace is a little slower.  I have joined the international ex-pat club and the Aussie one too and been on a couple of outings.  Today I went to a garden fete at the British High Commissioner’s residence and had coffee with some other expats.  We have made friends with our upstairs neighbours who are ‘30 something’ Danes and we have been out with some of the IKEA people too.  People are generally really friendly, locals and expats alike.   

Humayam's Tomb Gardens (courtesy Josh)
Some things in life do not change.  Last Sunday Jeff lost a filling and consequently had to visit a dentist.  The only thing different is the cost.  If you need major dentistry it is definitely affordable, but the people you see in the street here do not seem to be taking advantage of these benefits.  Costs are all relative and we are very fortunate.   Whilst in the dentist’s waiting room I had my first ‘expat’ moment.  A British woman came in with her son and we  recognised each other from an expat coffee Morning. She (Eve) even remembered my name.  Question: In a city of how many millions what are the chances of bumping into someone you know?  Answer: very high if you live in an expat community.  However, it was good and hopefully the first of many different and varied moments that will lead to me feeling at home here.

Next week I am going along to the American Embassy School to join the volunteer group teaching the local street children English.  I hope that this will make me feel a bit more part of things instead of standing on the outside looking in.  It may even lead to some more work.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment